The Office of Health Care Programs at Johns Hopkins University Hospital developed this screening quiz for alcoholics. We replaced the word “drinking” with “riding.” Find out if you have a problem with horses.
- Do you lose time from work due to riding?
- Is riding making your home life unhappy?
- Have you had financial difficulties as a result of riding?
- Do you ride to escape from worries or trouble?
- Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of riding?
- Do you crave riding at a definite time daily?
- Do you ride alone?
- Do you turn to inferior companions and environments when riding?
- Have you ever had a loss of memory as a result of riding?
- Has a physician ever treated you for riding?
According to the experts at Johns Hopkins University Hospital*, answering “Yes” to even one of these questions is a sign that your riding patterns are harmful and considered horse dependent or horse-o-holic. You probably have a serious mental illness. And a problem with alcohol. And/or money.
Seek an evaluation by a licensed healthcare professional as soon as possible. (Veterinary consults don’t count.)
*No one at Johns Hopkins had anything to say on this survey or possible horse-related addictions. Yet.
Carley Sparks covers show jumping and related ridiculousness at getmyfix.org.
MORE PLEASE! If you liked this post, check out…