SmartPak Valentine’s Day Feed: Homemade Valentine’s Day Horse Hearts
It’s Valentine’s Day. Show your horses how much you love them with these homemade heart treats.
By SmartPaker Adriana LaFave
I absolutely adore my horse Finley, but sadly I don’t know his actual birth date, and his Gotcha Day (October 1st) always seems to fly by in the midst of enjoying All The Autumn Things!
So, this Valentine’s Day I thought I make up for all the birthdays I’ve missed by treating him to some homemade Valentine-themed cookies. These ended up turning out so cute I just had to share them with all my SmartPak friends, too!
- 1 c quick oats
- ½ c oat flour*
- ½ c coconut flour
- ¼ c whole ground flaxseed meal
- ½ c grated carrot (from ~1 medium carrot)
- ½ c loosely packed grated apple (from ~ ½ medium apple)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 ½ c no sugar added apple sauce
*No need to run to the store just for oat flour. Take any kind of oats and blend in a food processor until they break down to a flour consistency. I’ve made oat flour from both quick oats and old-fashioned oats and both work fine!
Optional for added decorations:
- whole flaxseeds
- chia seeds
- freeze-dried apple pieces
- crushed peppermints (soft or hard mints)
- mixing spoon
- measuring cups/spoon
- (ancient) box grater
- cookie sheets
- parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- pastry board or mat or large cutting board (optional)
- cookie cutters (optional)
- sassy potholder (potholder required, sass optional)
1. Line 1-2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 F with racks in lower and upper thirds of oven.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine oats, oat flour, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, grated carrot, grated apple, and cinnamon (if using).
3. Add in the apple sauce and stir to completely combine.
7. Using a spatula, transfer cookies from cookie sheet to wire rack and cool completely.
- I like giving Finley one large treat at the end of the day which is why I made some of these treats pretty big in size. Feel free to adjust the size of your cookies to best fit your feeding preferences.
- Any of my friends out there that have dabbled in the keto diet probably have some coconut flour on hand. This can be subbed for oat flour, but you may have to adjust the amount of apple sauce to get the right consistency.
- I made this recipe with both quick oats and old-fashioned oats and found the quick oats worked a little better. They mixed into the dough easier, and their size also made it easier to cut out the treats with the cookie cutters. However, if all you have on hand is the old-fashioned oats, don’t let that hold you back!
These treats are approved by Finley and his barn mates. I hope your horse loves them too!
Happy Valentine’s Day, Horse Nation. Go SmartPak and go riding!