Here are five tips on how to manage winter blankets.
- Be sure your horse is clean and dry before putting on a blanket. If there is “skin yuck,” try to clear it up first or talk to your veterinarian about treatments, as blanketing can aggravate skin conditions. Don’t share blankets among horses.
- Use the right blanket at the right time. When it’s 40 or 50 degrees outside, use a lightweight blanket. If it’s 20° or below, use a heavyweight blanket or a combination of blankets. Be sure to use only waterproof blankets when horses are outside. Change blankets as the temperature changes so your horse doesn’t sweat under his blankets.
- Use a blanket that fits properly. You don’t want rub marks or sores developing anywhere on your horse. Check blankets a couple of times a day to be sure they are on straight and that the straps and surcingles are adjusted properly.
- Repair damaged blankets as soon as possible. Clean your blankets annually!
- Remove your horse’s blanket and groom him or her regularly.
About Kentucky Performance Products, LLC:
Elevate® Maintenance Powder
Fight back against seasonal vitamin E deficiencies.
Elevate® Maintenance Powder was developed to provide a highly bioavailable source of natural vitamin E to horses. Multiple research studies have shown that vitamin E is often deficient in the diets of horses that do not have access to continual grazing on fresh green grass, or those grazing on dormant winter pastures. Performance horses with demanding workloads, growing horses, and seniors have higher requirements for vitamin E, making deficiencies a more common occurrence. Studies reveal that horses who are deficient in vitamin E are at a higher risk for developing neurological and muscle diseases. Don’t let a lack of natural vitamin E put your horse at risk; supplement with Elevate this winter to ensure your horse gets the vitamin E needed to thrive.
The horse that matters to you matters to us. Not sure which horse supplement best meets your horse’s needs? Kentucky Performance Products, LLC is here to help. Contact us at 859-873-2974 or visit our website at KPPusa.com.