As most of us can attest, the horse world is full of interesting facts. And those new to the horse world often marvel at this unique trivia. This is no different for Ponydad, who is learning all sorts of things, thanks to the internet.
Since my daughter started riding, I’ve learned a lot. My wife and daughter have been able to answer most of my many, many … many questions — but not all of them. In cases where they have not known the answers, I have found them on the internet.
For example, I have learned that the world’s tallest horse is 210 cm (6.8 feet or 20 hands) tall and that horses sleep only 2.5 to three hours a day. But since much of my knowledge of the equestrian world comes from the internet, I have also acquired a lot of — let’s just say it as it is — completely useless knowledge.
In fact, some of the information I’ve picked up on the road is so weird that I doubt if it’s true. I have divided the incredible claims into three groups:
- General knowledge
- Horse laws in the USA
Maybe you know what’s up and down, true or false, but I have my doubts.
- Elephant: They say horses have a better memory than elephants. If it’s true, why the heck can’t they learn that the annoying plastic bag that always finds its way to the venue isn’t dangerous?
- Giraffe: The same source has pointed out that a giraffe can run faster than a horse… Doh. Of course it runs faster. Its legs are like a mile long. I wonder how long it’s going to take to put bandages on a bandit like that. And good luck getting the bit in.
- Speed: According to the internet, a horse can run up to 88 mph. That’s 5 mph faster than I am allowed to drive with a horse trailer in Denmark… Anybody want to buy a horse trailer?
- Vision: The horse’s color vision is similar to that found in people with red-green color blindness. Maybe that’s why our four-legged friends don’t care if the horse ribbon is red, blue or green.
- Australia: There have only been horses in Australia for 232 years and the Australian horses have a reputation for being among the toughest in the world.
Horse laws in the USA
- Ugly horse: In the town of Wilbur, you risk being fined $300 if you ride an “ugly horse.” 😀
- Pony in pub: In the town of Burns, horses are allowed to enter the city’s pubs with their owners. But only if the owner has paid for its entrance.
- Umbrella: In the city of New York, it is illegal to open an umbrella in the presence of a horse. It makes perfect sense … but come on, guys.
- Bathtub: In Oklahoma, it’s illegal to let a donkey sleep in a bathtub after 7 p.m. … I don’t know what to say.
If you know of any strange statements, like the ones above, and you want to share them with the rest of us, you are more than welcome to share a comment in the Facebook comments.
About Thomas Pelle Veng:
Seven years ago, Thomas’ daughter started riding. As a man in a world dominated by women and only armed with a knowledge of horses that was limited to visits at Copenhagen ZOO and cowboy movies, his learning curve has been steep. But instead of giving up, Thomas chose to take advantage of the many hours waiting in the barn and wrote the book “A Guide to Live as a Ponydad” and began blogging about all the things he did not and still doesn’t understand about horses and horse girls.
Thomas has a 16-year-old daughter and a full-time job as an HR Business Partner in Denmark’s largest car company, so there are always things to do, and it can sometimes be difficult to find the time. Especially after his daughter fell in love with a 350 kg heavy pony called Boogie.