For this week’s Standing Ovation, we want to celebrate you and everything you can do for at-risk horses.
Every week Horse Nation teams up with Ovation Riding to recognize those doing good in the horse world. This week we recognize you.
That’s right, you. Well, you and The Right Horse Initiative, which is working to get as many horses fostered as possible in these uncertain times. The COVID-19 pandemic has increased the number of horses in need of help, so there is ample opportunity for you to help. If you have an open stall in your barn or room for one more horse in your pasture, the time has never been better to consider becoming a foster home.
Fostering means that you are opening your home and heart to an at-risk horse by becoming the primary caregiver until they are adopted, or until the shelter has room to take the horse back into their facility. As a foster home, you will be embarking on a highly rewarding journey that ultimately ends in saving a life, making a difference and helping a horse find an adoptive home.
Benefits of Fostering
Fostering a horse can be incredibly rewarding and comes with a multitude of benefits to everyone involved (you, the horse and the organization through which you’re fostering):
- By taking on a foster horse, you’re making room for equine welfare organizations to help more at-risk horses
- If you’re new to horse ownership, fostering gives you a chance to learn with the support from the fostering organization
- If you’re an experienced horse person, you can help give a horse an education to make it more adoptable
- You know you’ve made a positive impact on a horse’s life
You can find out more about fostering a horse here.
Can’t foster a horse? You can still help.
If you aren’t in the position to foster a horse, you can still help horses find homes during this challenging time. It’s never been more important to lean in and use your voice to affect positive change.
Here’s how you can help:
- Donate to equine welfare organizations so that they have the resources to help at-risk horses
- Spread the word! Share information about equine adoption and fostering on your social media accounts and in your community (The Right Horse Initiative has a toolkit to help you spread the word)
- Share adoptable and foster-able horses on your social channels or with your friends
There are so many ways that you can make a difference in the lives of at-risk horses — and the opportunities have only increased in light of the pandemic. Make a difference today!
Many thanks thanks to Ovation Riding for their support of both Horse Nation and individuals and organizations that are doing good work in the horse world. If you know someone who deserves a Standing Ovation, we would love to recognize them in a future post. Email the name of the person or organization along with a message about the good work they do to [email protected]. Photos/videos are always welcome, and include a link to their website if applicable.