You asked and SmartPak answered answered! That’s right. Ask the Vet is back for March, demonstrating SmartPak’s dedication to keeping its fans informed and their horses healthy.
In this episode Dr. Lydia Gray and SmartPaker Dan answer five new questions on topics like whether or not your horse should wear boots in turnout, coconut oil for horses, when to start a young horse on joint supplements, best footing options for a horse’s paddock, the difference between PSSM Type 1 and Type 2, and so much more!
Questions answered in this episode:
1. Boots during turn out — I see lots of people turning horses out with brush boots and splint boots. Does this help or hurt the horse in any way? I’ve heard some people say it will make the horse’s legs weaker because they rely on the boots for support. Is there any truth to this? Is there any circumstance where boots would be beneficial during turnout
2. Is it safe to feed coconut oil? What are the benefits?
3. At what age is it ok to start a young horse on a joint supplement? My 3 yr old QH is just starting her riding training and was wondering if she should be on a joint supplement? 🐴
4. We are looking for footing options for our horse’s paddock. They are only in the paddock during nighttime. What are some of your suggestions for affordable paddock footing?
5. PSSM types 1 & 2. What’s the difference? How to manage in terms of diet, exercise and feeding, any supplements that help? Which is worse in terms of maintenance and quality of life for the horse?
If you’re interested in learning more about the topics mentioned in the video, you can read or watch videos about them using the following resources:
- Ask the Vet individual topics playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list…
- Ask the Vet blogs: http://blog.smartpakequine.com/catego…
- Horse Health Library Videos: http://pak.horse/HHLvids
- Ask the Vet form: http://pak.horse/2gkBThy
- University safety study on the effects of turmeric and devil’s claw on horse stomach health: https://blog.smartpakequine.com/2020/…
- Ask the Vet – Disinfecting barn items: https://youtu.be/O5sJ-vuwYww
- Biosecurity Toolkit for Equine Events: https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_…
- How to take equine vital signs: https://youtu.be/aTSrlqNP2mY
- Ask the Vet – What to track in your horse’s journal: https://youtu.be/MK49KeC_XUg
- Ask the Vet – Sleep deprivation in horses: https://youtu.be/yZhHC9d4ugs
Go SmartPak and Go Riding!