SmartPak Monday Morning Feed: Ask the Vet, July Edition
How much protein in a horse’s diet is too much? What is the best way to control flies? What are the best ways to trailer your horse? How do you prevent cribbing? What about stocking up? These questions and more are answered in this month’s Ask the Vet.
This month marks a huge milestone for SmartPak’s series Ask the Vet — they received their 200th question. That’s right! SmartPak staff veterinarian and medical director Dr. Lydia Gray and SmartPaker Dan have answered over 200 fan-submitted horse health questions. They offer this free resource to horse owners in order to help them stay informed and make the best decisions possible for their horses’ health.
Questions answered in this episode include:
- Is it possible for a horse to get too much protein in their diet?
- What is the best way and/or supplement to control flies? Horse’s legs are getting bit up by flies and I’m not sure what to do about it? He lives in a dry lot paddock.
- Should I use shavings or hay for trailer bedding? And should I tie my horse in the trailer? The other day he fell down and I’m worried he’s going to hurt himself.
- Keeping cribbers entertained! In my case, the boy DOES live in a run-in so there’s no stalling boredom there.
- My mare’s back legs stock up when I can’t be at the ranch for 2 or more days, what can I do to keep her legs from swelling up?
What was the most interesting thing you learned in this video? Let us know in the comments section!
Have your own horse health questions to submit for next month? Tag your question on social media with #AskTheVetVideo. Bonus: if your question is selected for a future video, you’ll win a SmartPak gift card!
Leave a Comment