We wish we were joking.
Throughout the years of history there have been many salesmen trying to peddle their unique blend of “snake oil” that can fix a variety of ailments. In the 21st century, the modern man has came up with the newest blend: coconut oil and turmeric. (While coconut oil and turmeric do have their tons of evidence-based holistic, therapeutic benefits, neither of them is a miracle cure for everything, as some on the internet might have you believe.)
- Blending the two and applying it to the hooves will stop any signs of founder
- Adding coconut oil and turmeric to your horse’s grain will fix a buddy/barn sour horse
- Coconut oil and turmeric will cure Cushing’s disease
- Turmeric will get rid of ticks, worms, and other internal and external parasites
- Turmeric will clear up eye infections if applied directly into the eye (please don’t do this)
- Coconut oil can be used as sunscreen
- Coconut oil will remove cancer from the body, especially when blended with turmeric
- Coconut oil and turmeric will stop a horse from cribbing if mixed into their feed.
- Coconut oil and turmeric will automatically get you blue ribbons from the judge (okay, okay — this one I made up)
Sure, this stuff might help with other equine problems — we’ll let you do your own research and decide — but please don’t fall for these ridiculous claims. Save your money for something else that’s guaranteed to work, like essential oils…
In all seriousness, for horse health-related questions, please consult a veterinarian before you consult the internet.