Every Friday, Horse Nation teams up with Ovation Riding to spotlight an individual or organization doing good work in the horse world. Today, we’re recognizing the American Horse Council.
The American Horse Council’s mission is “to advocate for the social, economic and legislative interests of the United States equine industry.”
To this end, the AHC works in Washington, D.C. to represent the entire horse industry, advocating for the industry in matters related to regulation and legislation. The AHC emphasizes to lawmakers the economic, agricultural, sporting and recreational impact of the horse industry.
In 2017, the AHC noted the following list of accomplishments, among others:
- Published the National Equine Health Plan (NEHP) in conjuction with the American Association of Equine Practitioners, the USDA and state animal health officials; the plan protects the health and welfare of the US equine population
- Ensured favorable tax provisions for the equine industry in the Tax Cuts and Jobs act of 2017
- Secured a change in the new IRS “Winnings” rule, working with other racing industry organizations
- Collaborated with members of the livestock industry to address ELD Mandate and published materials to clarify ELD/CDL requirements for horse owners
- Advocated for H2-B Visa cap relief
- Worked on the “Recreation Not Red-Tape Act” which would expand the National Forest System Trails Stewardship Act
- Advocated for an amendment in the FY2018 Department of Defense Appropriations Bill to fund equine therapy for veterans
- Introduced Prevent All Soring Tactics (PAST) Act in House of Representatives; bill would strengthen Horse Protection Act for Tennessee Walking Horses, Racking Horses and Spotted Saddle Horses
- Introduced over 120,000 new horse enthusiasts to the industry via the Time to Ride initiative
The American Horse Council remains an important voice for the entire horse industry in Washington to ensure that we continue to enjoy the opportunities that we have today. Learn more about the American Horse Council by visiting the organization’s website!
Many thanks thanks to Ovation Riding for their support of both Horse Nation and individuals and organizations that are doing good work in the horse world. If you know someone who deserves a Standing Ovation, we would love to recognize them in a future post. Email the name of the person or organization along with a message about the good work they do to [email protected] Photos/videos are always welcome, and include a link to their website if applicable.