1A. They’re freaking awesome.
Horse people tend to be animal lovers in general. Whether you consider yourself a “dog person” or a “cat person” here are ten reasons we think barn cats are cool!
10. They make great security guards; nobody’s gonna climb a fence facing all those claws! (um, when they’re not napping…)
9. They teach you balance! You gotta stay on your toes to avoid stepping on all those paws and tails at feeding time!
8. They make awesome holiday decorations! Just add tinsel and ‘voila’: barn is decorated and – bonus – the kitties can shred it throughout December and have a blast! #DualPurposeCatToys
7. They may not wear the pants in your family, but sometimes they do wear the shoes.
6. They make catching your horse seem comparatively easy!
5. They are Jedi Masters at “chill.” And, c’mon now, we could all use a little more zen in our lives, right?
4. Legwarmers. Need I say more?
For real: Great barn cats have a list of conquests that read like The Tazmanian Devil’s preferred menu: mouses, moles, voles, rabbits, rats, squirrels, and (sadly) yes, even the occasional songbird.
2. They’re a natch for barn singalongs and often channel their inner Simba, especially if a friendly shoulder is available.
And the number one reason to have at least one barn cat: There’s nothing cuter to have around a barn because, well, KITTENS.
Many shelters and cat-centric nonprofits offer discounted/free adoptions for barn homes — don’t shop!