Fat to Fit to First Level: Labor Day Weekend
And the kickoff of Esther’s 21-day challenge!
Disclaimer: this column is not intended to replace weight loss advice from a medical professional or dietician. Horse Nation encourages all readers interested in weight loss and fitness to seek the advice of a medical professional to help determine the program that works best for the individual. Not every program is the best match for each individual.
Today is DAY ONE of Maree Thom’s 21 Day Challenge. For the next twenty-one days, I’m going to do my very best to NOT eat sugar. (Roll the horror flick scary music, and y’all, please pray for my husband! #MonsterMe #SugarWithdrawals)
In case you missed it from last week’s column, here’s a quick re-cap of the steps involved in the challenge. Maree Thom is a Certified Primal Health Coach by Primal Blueprint, and I’m following her guidance:
1. Eat real food.
2. Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, and beans/legumes.
3. Align your carb intake with your weight goals and activity levels.
4. Move frequently at a slow pace to achieve 2-5 hours per week of moderate aerobic exercise.
5. Lift heavy things: Conduct 1-3 brief, intense sessions of full-body functional movements. 10-20 minutes MAX!
6. Sprint: Go “all out” once a week. This could be on a bike, rowing machine, or simply walking at your fastest pace. No need to run unless you want to.
7. Get 8 hours of sleep every night.
8. Get 15 minutes of direct sun exposure each day.
9. Play! Find time to let go, disconnect, unwind and have fun each day!
For the past month or so, I’ve been transitioning my diet to more Paleo-Primal eating, which means more protein and less carbs.Now, the ante is upped: NO SUGAR FOR 21 DAYS.
Over the course of my entire life, I doubt I’ve gone without sugar for twenty-one hours, let alone twenty-one days. But, since starting this journey and losing twenty pounds of the sixty I hope to shed, one primary question has remained foremost in my thought:
How bad do you want this, Esther?
Bad enough to go without sugar for twenty-one days, no question.
If you want to join me in this sugar-less challenge, COMMENT BELOW and join the Fat to Fit to First Level Group on Facebook and we will support each other through withdrawals and towards better health!
And, because, whenever possible, hard things should be done surrounded by beauty, here is a “formal” photo of Kaliwohi recently taken by the uber-talented photographer, Tess McHone, of Everyday Beauty Photography.
Leave a Comment