Best of JN: 6 Reasons We Love Magical Nordic Gnome Peder Fredricson
We mean that “magical Nordic gnome” thing in the most complimentary way possible. Take it away, Jumper Nation.
I love Peder Fredricson. He’s like something from a weird, fabulous, Swedish folktale that only appears under certain auspicious circumstances, causes a little mischief, and then retreats back into the charming Nordic forest from which he appeared.
In celebration of being on his home soil this week for the FEI European Championships (where he’s already won the first class and snagged €15,000 doing it), here’s a few things we love about our handsome show jumping imp from the North.
- When he won his Olympic individual silver medal in Rio, he dabbed, and the mainstream population lost their mind.
Just watched a 40 year old Swedish man win gold for an equestrian event and dab when he got on the podium. Please tell me what's going on
— Hannah McGrath (@She_HANigans) August 19, 2016
The dab isn’t dead yet, as proved by — you guessed it — a Swedish equestrian https://t.co/0aHrblckUL pic.twitter.com/crO6HramK2
— Washington Post (@washingtonpost) August 20, 2016
The dab is dead now, thanks to — you guessed it — a Swedish equestrian #FTFY https://t.co/tzXS7byurv
— conrad (@rencer_speed) August 20, 2016
- He’s stepped out for just a couple Global Champions Tour stops and generally has a lighter show schedule than some of his fellow FEI comrades, but the guy is still #23 on the FEI rankings list because when he does show, he slays.
- Case in point: He’s competed in nine FEI shows since May and won SEVEN classes – all at the CSI 4* or CSI 5* level.
- In the off-season, he apparently looks like a bond villain (you know, the handsome kind)
JAA, PEDER FREDRICSON! ???? Han gråter. Älskar honom.
— Madelino♞ (@madelinoo) January 16, 2017
- He cleans up nice. That’s not an opinion. It’s objective fact if they let you pose with ponies for H&M.
- In 1992, Peder competed in the Barcelona Olympics as an eventer. Literally, show jumping is his second career. He’s like an OTTB in human form. And I’d happily rehome him to my barn any day.
- He has the cutest family ever. Also, with really good bloodlines, you might say, as his wife Lisen Bratt Fredricson is an Olympic show jumping veteran herself. Will their darling children follow in their footsteps?
There’s plenty more to love about Peder, so be sure to give him a follow on Instagram, and keep an eye out for continued success at this week’s European Championships!
FEI European Championships: Website, Facebook, Results/Startlists, JN coverage
Leave a Comment