Dr. Lydia Gray and Sarah are back for July with a brand-new set of fan-submitted questions about electrolytes, feeding a new horse, working the aging horse and more!
Who doesn’t like to learn more about horses — especially when it comes to your horse’s health? The magical thing about the internet is that if you’ve had a question, it’s a safe bet that someone else has too. And that’s where SmartPak comes in with the monthly Ask the Vet video series.
SmartPak fans submit their questions and vote for the final round to be answered monthly, and SmartPak staff veterinarian and medical director Dr. Lydia Gray and SmartPaker Sarah answer!
Questions answered in this episode:
1. How do I know if I need to give my horse electrolytes after an intense ride on a hot day?
2. Are there certain things you would recommend more for older horses versus younger horses? Why? Examples are cold hosing, longer warm-ups, stretching before a ride, etc.
3. If you are getting a new horse…how do you figure out what to feed?
4. When moving barns, what precautions can you take to decrease your horse’s stress and make it as seamless as possible?
5. What do you do when your horse constantly shakes and has sensitive ears, but there is no sign of mites?
Want to submit your own question for next month? Comment on this video (via YouTube, not here at Horse Nation) and tag your question #AskTheVet. You can also post your questions on SmartPak’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or by visiting the SmartPak blog — don’t forget the hashtag! Questions can be submitted directly via [email protected].
Bonus: if your question is selected, you win a SmartPak gift card!