Can you believe May is just around the corner? SmartPak is back with a brand-new “Ask the Vet” video for the month of May, tackling anhidrosis, trimming whiskers, moon blindness and more!
As we move further into spring, we (hopefully) start to leave behind the early spring problems of scratches and thrush, changing feed plans and shedding horses and move into a different set of health concerns for our beloved equines. Fortunately, you’re not alone in having questions that need answering — SmartPak fans submitted their horse health questions for the “Ask the Vet” video series starring SmartPaker Sarah and Dr. Lydia Gray, and the May edition is full of great information to keep us going through the next month!
Questions answered in this episode:
1. I have a horse that was diagnosed with anhidrosis. Aside from medication, is there anything I can do to help him? I once saw a horse like that at a barn I was at before, and since medication wouldn’t help him much, the owner decided to start giving him half a beer every morning to help him sweat. Apparently it worked, but is that a good idea?
2. I have a question about the horse’s teeth this time. Some people say it’s needed to float the teeth once a year, others say longer, others say more frequent. What is your opinion on floating, and how do I know my horse needs her teeth floated?
3. How can you tell if your farrier is doing a good job, and what does a healthy hoof look like?
4. With show season coming up, is it truly harmful to shave/trim a horse’s facial whiskers since they are “connected” to their brain cells?
5. I have an Appaloosa-Paint mix, and my farrier once mentioned to me to be careful about moon blindness. What is it, what breeds does it affect, what can be done to prevent it, and once it’s contracted, what are the treatment options? Since my horse is a mix, is he less likely to contract moon blindness?
Sound like questions you’ve had too? Watch the video for the answers:
Want to submit your own question for next month? Comment on this video (via YouTube, not here at Horse Nation) and tag your question #AskTheVet. You can also post your questions on SmartPak’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or by visiting the SmartPak blog — don’t forget the hashtag! Questions can be submitted directly via [email protected].
Bonus: if your question is selected, you win a SmartPak gift card!