SmartPak’s “Ask the Vet” video series is the best way to learn five new things about equine health each month — and SmartPaker Sarah and SmartPak Medical Director and Staff Veterinarian Dr. Lydia Gray are back with a new video!
As horse people, it’s important that we never stop learning — especially when we think we’ve got a pretty good handle on taking care of these animals. There’s always new research, new ideas and better information in the horse world, and it never hurts to expand out knowledge to make sure we are providing the best life possible for our hooved friends.
That’s one of the reasons we love SmartPak‘s “Ask the Vet” video series: SmartPaker Sarah and SmartPak Medical Director and Staff Veterinarian Dr. Lydia Gray answer fan-submitted questions about all things horse care, presenting a monthly informative video (that has plenty of entertainment factor as well!).
Here are the questions we’re tackling in the first video for 2017:
1. What is the difference between founder and laminitis?
2. During the winter, it is hard to find hay for sale in my area, so I feed my 12-year old mare beet pulp. I have read that beet pulp lacks in nutrition and vitamins. Is there a better alternative for beet pulp or some sort of supplement I could be feeding her in addition to beet pulp?
3. Tips or favorite supplements for when mares are cranky and on their cycle?
4. How can sand colic be avoided in the months with less rain for fresh grass?
5. My dad is going to retire from the military probably in March next year, and for us that means we have to haul my horse from North Carolina to Texas where we plan to keep him at my grandparent’s house. Are there any vaccinations and tests I need to have for him before we go, and what do I need to look out for health-wise when we get there? We’ve always done cross-country moves before but never with a horse.
We bet you learned something new today — how about that? Starting out your Monday with some new information.
Want to submit your own question for next month? Comment on this video (via YouTube, not here at Horse Nation) and tag your question #AskTheVet. You can also post your questions on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram — don’t forget the hashtag! Questions can be submitted directly via [email protected].
Bonus: if your question is selected, you win a SmartPak gift card!