Each week, Horse Nation teams up with Ovation Riding to spotlight an individual or organization doing good work in the horse world. Today, we’re recognizing Draft Gratitude, a draft horse rescue in New Hampshire.
Today’s Standing Ovation report was written by Candace Wade.
I learned about Draft Gratitude from its award-winning film:
Draft Gratitude is an all volunteer 501c3 in Winchester, NH that rescues draft horses from slaughter and/or neglect. Once rehabilitated, the horses are paired with qualified adoptive homes to be used for light work including farming, homesteading, pleasure driving and riding, and companionship. Horses that are not able to be adopted live out their lives at Draft Gratitude. Founder Rebecca Roy shares that “caring for these deserving draft horses is an honor. We provide a soft landing for as many as we can.”
Rebecca told me: “I think it all started because I grew up on a small farm with draft horses. As an adult, I had an aged Belgian mare for the last 6 years of her life. How do I explain the bond we had? After she passed, the idea of a rescue was in my brain. Finally, I got serious and went to work. Draft Gratitude is now in its third year.”
Most of the horses at Draft Gratitude come from farming communities in PA and NY. Rebecca’s focus is on aged farming horses that have worked their entire lives. She believes they have earned a safe retirement.
Volunteers and contributors make saving the lives of the horses possible. The following are some of the costs:
- Care for one horse, for one day, is $12 ($4320 per year)
- Rescue $1200 ($500 purchase, $400 hauling, $300 initial vet/farrier)
- Draft hoof trim $75
Ways to help:
- “Provide Care for a Day” (monthly giving — $12 each month).
- “Belle’s Fund” for the advanced veterinary needs like chronic lameness, removing masses, removing cancerous eyes, and/or emergency situations.
- “Save Your Feed Tags” – Nutrena, Legends, Triple Crown, Southern States, Tribute and Poulin will donate for every sewn feed tag and proof of purchase Draft Gratitude submits. Send tags to Draft Gratitude 148 Ashuelot Street, Winchester, NH 03470.
- Amazon Smiles donates with every purchase – just click on Draft Gratitude.
- Year end fundraiser link.
Many thanks thanks to Ovation Riding for their support of both Horse Nation and individuals and organizations that are doing good work in the horse world. If you know someone who deserves a Standing Ovation, we would love to recognize them in a future post. Email the name of the person or organization along with a message about the good work they do to [email protected] Photos/videos are always welcome, and include a link to their website if applicable.