SmartPak Monday Morning Feed: Ask the Vet, December Edition
Hot and cold therapy, breaking down guaranteed analysis on a feed label, keeping horses hydrated in winter … and more! SmartPaker Sarah and SmartPak staff veterinarian Dr. Lydia Gray answer more equine health questions.
Ever had a horse health question that your friends at the barn can’t answer? Curious about a horse health subject and your own veterinarian’s not available to answer? Fear not, because SmartPak’s “Ask the Vet” series is back for another month with more fan-submitted questions for SmartPaker Sarah and staff veterinarian and medical director Dr. Lydia Gray.
As a bonus, Sarah is on fire in this episode with the dad jokes.
Questions answered in this episode:
1. What is the difference between hot and cold therapy (i.e. sweating the leg and icing or cold hosing, respectively), and under what circumstances should each be used?
2. How do you break down and interpret the guaranteed analysis on a feed label?
3. I know during the fall and winter it is a lot easier for horses to become dehydrated. Because of the cooler temperatures, they aren’t as inclined to drink their water as they are in the hotter months. This was the reason my horse got impaction colic last week. It was a very scary experience and I really don’t want it to happen again. What are some ways to encourage horses to drink during the fall and winter months and make sure they stay hydrated, other than keeping fresh water in front of them all the time and providing a salt lick?
4. When should you switch your horse to a senior feed?
5. Are round bales healthy enough for horses to eat? Do they provide enough minerals to help maintain a healthy diet in horses?
Take it away, Sarah and Dr. Lydia!
Over the holidays, “Ask the Vet” is taking a break — so look out again for the video series in February, including a surprise! You can still submit new questions for the February video (see below).
Sarah and Dr. Gray have covered a LOT of ground since the Ask the Vet series started — perhaps they’ve answered your question in the past! Click here to open a full playlist of all of the Ask the Vet videos.
If you have your own question for SmartPaker Sarah and Dr. Lydia Gray that hasn’t already been answered, you can submit your question with the #askthevetvideo hashtag in the comments section on YouTube. You can also ask your questions on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or the SmartPak blog (where you can read all of Dr. Lydia Gray’s Ask the Vet articles) — don’t forget the hashtag!
Don’t forget the bonus — if your question is selected for the next video, you get a SmartPak gift card!
Go SmartPak! Go riding!
Leave a Comment