SmartPak Monday Morning Feed: Ask the Vet, May Episode
Dr. Lydia and SmartPakker Sarah are back to answer your horse health questions! Today, they’re tackling equine Lyme disease, fly sheets and more.
SmartPak is always in our corner when it comes to happy and healthy horses, and the “Ask the Vet” video series puts the knowledge of SmartPak staff veterinarian Dr. Lydia Gray at our disposal. In today’s episode, she and SmartPaker Sarah answer fan-submitted questions including the following:
1. How do I know how much weight a horse can carry (how much the rider can weigh before it gets “bad” for the horse)? I know it depends on age, experience and muscles on the horse, but can you count it out?
2. My horse was diagnosed with Lyme disease this past winter (we live in CT). Her most prominent symptom was behavioral change. She went from a laid back easy horse to being very difficult to handle. What are some of the other signs/symptoms of Lyme disease in horses? What are the treatment options? Can it cause any long term complications?
3. Could you explain the difference between hay stretcher and extender and forage replacer? Is it companies using different names or is there an actual difference?
4. I’m considering getting a fly sheet for my horse, but living in Alabama it stays pretty hot and humid year round with the exception of three or four months. Is there any point where it may be too hot/too humid for a fly sheet while out in the pasture? Would I be better off without a fly sheet?
5. I was wondering if you had any tips on a horse that is very sensitive to bug bites in the summer and ends up with hives and rubbing her mane/tail out?
Have some of your own questions for Dr. Lydia? Submit your question on this video on YouTube before May 5, 2016, using #askthevetvideo. You can also ask your questions on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or the SmartPak blog (where you can read all of Dr. Lydia Gray’s Ask the Vet articles) — don’t forget the hashtag!
Don’t forget the bonus — if your question is selected for the next video, you get a SmartPak gift card!
Go SmartPak! Go riding!
Leave a Comment