This week’s topics: how to prevent thrush in the spring, anemia in horses, what to have in your equine first aid kit, treatment for a horse with ulcers, and how to keep weight off an easy keeper.
When it comes to horse health SmartPak is on our side, so it’s not surprising that they keep a vet on-call to help us navigate the ins-and-outs of equine ownership.
In the second episode of SmartPak’s monthly video series “Ask the Vet,” Dr. Lydia Gray and SmartPaker Sarah answer your burning questions to include…
1. How can you prevent thrush in the spring when your horse is outside 24/7 where there is mud, melting snow, etc.?
2. Could you go over anemia in horses and some treatment options, and how can riders help prevent anemia?
3. What are some essentials for an equine first aid kit?
4. I would love to know more about ulcers in horses, recommended detection, and treatment methods, as well as long-term maintenance for an ulcery horse!
5. What’s the best exercise for an overweight horse? I would like to have something I can do that doesn’t take too long, and I can do everyday that I’m at the barn. My horse is a little chubster, and I’d like to have an efficient exercise we can do.
The more you know, the more you know! ‘
Have a question of your own? Submit it on this video between March 1 and March 14 using #askthevetvideo. You can also ask your questions on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or the SmartPak blog, where you can read all of Dr. Lydia Gray’s “Ask the Vet” articles here.
Bonus: If your question gets selected to be featured in a future “Ask the Vet” video, you win a SmartPak Gift Card!
Be sure to subscribe to SmartPak’s YouTube Channel so you’ll be the first to know about new editions.
Go SmartPak. Go Riding!