Product Review: Horze Spirit Fleece Cooler
Kristen Kovatch reviews this fleece blanket from the Horze “Spirit” line.
Let’s go ahead and establish a fact that I think we can all agree upon, no matter what equestrian walk of life you call your own: horses are expensive. So imagine my delight to discover product comes along that multi-tasks like a champion, includes all of the durable features we could ever ask for, makes my horse look cute as a button AND is friendly to the bank account. Introducing the Horze Spirit fleece blanket, which accomplishes all of these things.
Okay, so a fleece is a fleece, you could theoretically argue — what makes this one so special?
- Versatility. While a square fleece cooler, in comparison, covers the neck of the horse, it’s really only used for one thing: drying a wet horse, whether it’s damp from post-workout sweat, just had a bath or was caught out in the rain. The Horze Spirit fleece blanket can serve as a wick-dry cooler, but it can also be worn as a stable sheet on a chilly night, or layered under a turnout sheet to act either as a wicking layer or a warming layer.
- Construction. Especially if you’re planning on having your horse live in this fleece layer for any period of time, having crossing surcingle straps, buckles in the front and an under-tail tie make this blanket both easy to put on and highly likely to actually stay put where it’s supposed to be.
- Durability. This blanket was clearly designed by horse people, because the good folks at Horze were not messing around when it came to materials: it’s made of high-quality fleece so plush and cozy that I was sorely tempted to curl up in it myself on the couch instead of taking it to the barn. The trim around the edges as well as the straps and buckles are heavy-duty and well-stitched — this thing is built to last.
- Style. Okay, so I don’t show my horses and they rarely leave the property, but as a dedicated horse owner I still like my horses to look stylin’ even if for no one else other than my Instagram followers. The Horze Spirit fleece blanket comes in 9 lovely colors (Red is sporting “mermaid”) with complementing trim, and you can also specify custom embroidery if you’re ordering direct.
- Price point. Ah yes, the critical bottom line. Fear not, equestrians, because this top-quality product will set you back $33.95. Is it okay that I admit that I was pleasantly but frankly shocked? This may be the most practical $34 you’ll ever spend on your horse.
To order a Horze Spirit fleece blanket for yourself, check it out at the Horze website here, or browse the full collection of coolers and anti-sweats here.
Leave a Comment