Test your knowledge against this NickerDoodles quiz!
Below are 10 statements or questions — the answers are true or false. Take the quiz then check the answers and assess your score on the NickerDoodle Quiz-O-Meter Scale. Good luck!
1. Hippos and horses are genetic cousins.
2. Zebras are black with white stripes (as opposed to white with black stripes).
3. When playing horseshoes this is called a “Leaner.”
4. Guns N Roses rides a steel horse.
5. The horse piece in chess is called the Rook.
6. One of the earliest Olympic events involving horses (680 BC) was a cross-country race.
7. Despite living underwater, the sea horse is faster than land-based horses (once size versus time and distance traveled are proportionately factored).
8. The Tijuana Zebra is an obscure domestic breed used as a pack animal. It principally inhabits a small area of northern Mexico near the US border.
9. Pit ponies lived under ground in shafts most of their lives seldom venturing to the surface.
10. A rodeo cowboy has to stay on a bareback bronc for 8 seconds to earn a qualified ride.
1. False – rhinos and tapiers are the closests relatives to horses.
2. True – latest science suggests the stripes are white.
3. True – when the shoe lands upright against a post, you’ve got a “Leaner.”
4. False – Jon Bon Jovi rides a steel horse.
5. False – The horse is called the Knight.
6. False – Chariot racing was the earliest Olympic equine event.
7. False – The dwarf seahorse is the slowest horse and even the slowest fish traveling a grueling 5 feet an hour.
8. False – it’s actually donkey painted with zebra stripes whose sole purpose since the 1940s has been as a prop for tourists to pose alongside.
9. True – many pit ponies lived underground their entire lives and rarely came to the surface. Little is documented on living conditions but life durations were usually five years or less.
10. True – and we’re pretty sure that eight seconds seems like a lifetime!
CHECK YOUR SCORE!
http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/past-exhibitions/horse/fast-facts, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra, http://www.thefreedictionary.com/horseshoes, http://www.chess-game-strategies.com/names-of-all-chess-pieces.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariot_racing#Olympic_Games, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahorse, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tijuana_Zebra, http://horseandman.com/tag/pit-ponies/, http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_seconds_must_a_cowboy_stay_on_a_rodeo_bronc