From EN: Top 10 Thrills & Spills on Cross Country at WEG
A hairy day at Haras du Pin yesterday yielded some scary falls and scrappy saves.
Top image: Jessica Phoenix and Pavarotti by Jenni Autry
Cross-country day at the 2014 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games proved wild from start to finish, with the Badminton 2.0 prediction absolutely living up to expectations. We saw super scrappy rides and dramatic parting of ways all day long. Here’s a look at the top 10 thrills and spills from Haras du Pin:
1. Camilla Spiers and Portersize Just A Jiff’s incredible scramble through the first water complex. Irish horses get it done however they can!
2. Joris Van Springel (BEL) and Lully Des Aulnes’ scary fall at the final water complex, which claimed 17 victims throughout the course of the day.
3. Ingrid Klimke’s controversial trip through the first water complex with FRH Escada JS. The officials flip-flopped on whether to add 20 penalties multiple times yesterday. Official scores ultimately removed the 20 penalties. What do you think? Did she cross her tracks?
4. Mark Todd’s scary fall with Leonidas II at the fish after the up bank, also at the final water complex.
5. Zara Phillips’ amazing save at fences 17 and 18 to ultimately produce a clear round with High Kingdom. The course requested this type of aggressive, scrappy riding.
6. Denis Mesples’ frightening fall at the big ditch and wall. He appeared motionless when he fell, and the live feed on the big screens at the venue immediately panned away from him, making us fear the worst. But he just had the wind knocked out of him and was totally fine.
7. This gutsy ride through the steeplechase brushes for Elaine Pen and Vira. That’s how you kick on!
8. Rodolphe Scherer blowing kisses to the crowd after a successful trip through the challenging final water complex. The French crowd went wild!
9. Boyd Martin’s clear round with Shamwari 4 to sit in ninth place going into show jumping today for Team USA.
Boyd and Shamwari at #4 and #5.
10. Sandra Auffarth and Opgun Louvo’s hairy moment at the first water as the final pair on course and overnight leaders. They ultimately picked up 16.8 time penalties to just drop to second place behind William Fox-Pitt and Chilli Morning.
Stay tuned for the exciting finale of show jumping at WEG! Go Eventing.
Leave a Comment