It’s already the end of July — but there’s still plenty of summer left. Here are our recommendations on making this your best horsey summer ever.
Top photo by Kristen Kovatch.
1. Watch the sun rise–or set–from horseback.
2. Take your horse swimming.
3. Attend a horse show or competition in a discipline you don’t normally compete in. (Bonus points if you can find someone to let you catch-ride.)
4. Host a WEG party. The World Equestrian Games begin on August 23rd–if you’re not going to Normandy yourself, you can watch the live stream here.
5. Find a nearby trail system you haven’t explored yet.
6. Bareback. Forget about the hair and sweat that will be stuck to the insides of your thighs for the rest of the day and just do it. (Bonus points if you’re riding in a halter and lead rope and let your horse graze in the lawn.)
7. Groom for your friend at a show. Strive to be the best groom, polisher of boots and cheering squad ever.
8. Find a local fun show to enter–the kind where everyone gets to wear ridiculously bright colors and try barrel racing and egg-on-spoon and horse-husband lead line classes.
9. Treat your horse to an afternoon at the spa: full-fledged bath, conditioner, hoof polish, mane and tail brushing and lots of cookies. Then watch your horse roll in the mud and enjoy every last minute of it.