19 Strange, Beautiful Seahorses
Seahorses! They’re so weird! They have the heads and necks of dressage horses, but they’re fish! Here are some fun photos and facts about this curious creature.
- Male seahorses get pregnant, not the females, as the female expels her eggs into the male’s stomach pouch.
- Seahorse courting rituals including floating around with tails linked around one another (it’s like they’re holding hands! awww) and the male shooting jets of water through his pouch to show that it is empty.
- Seahorses are the slowest fish in the ocean, according to Guinness World Records. The Dwarf Seahorse moves at under five feet per hour, and some seahorses move even slower.
- Seahorses change color when they are stressed and can change colors dramatically to camouflage themselves into their environment.
- Some species of seahorses are smaller than the thumbnail on your pinkie finger.
- Seahorses curl their tail around coral or seaweed while they’re at rest so they don’t float away.
Top photo: pentaxforums.com
Leave a Comment