Mondays are hard. Mondays are dumb. We get it. And that’s why we’re bringing you this hand-picked selection of the inspiring and hilarious horsie links.
Top photo from our friends at Sh*t Horses Say via Jacob Wolff.
1. Yeah, Mondays blow. But you know what’s even worse than the worst Monday you’ve ever had? Having cancer. (I know what you’re thinking–“I thought you said this post was going to cheer me up!”) But wait, it’s about to get inspiring up in here.
A couple months ago, Horse Nation introduced you to Susan Corwin, who penned a series called “Jumping Past Cancer: A Comeback Story” about her return to eventing just months after completing chemotherapy. (If you missed the series the first time around, here are links to Part I, Part II and Part III.) Yeah, she’s my hero, too.
Anyway, The Courier-Journal recently ran a fantastic feature on Susan, in which she discusses one of the side effects of chemo, losing her hair. Susan elects to go wig-free most of the time, although she does own one. My favorite Susan quote of the story: “It’s large and a little crazy and Farrah Fawcett, but I figured if I’m going to get a wig, it should be fun. I named her Gloria. I take her to parties and put her on everyone else’s head.”
Read the full story here.
2. Have you seen the tumblr site Equestrian Betches? All I have to say is, you must go. You must go NOW.
Here are a few good ones from the site:
When the barn girls get in a fight on twitter.
Everyone is like:
3. If you’re not a regular listener of the “Horses in the Morning” radio show by the Horse Radio Network, you’re missing out. Hosts Jamie and Glenn are H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S and they’re masters at gathering all of the latest and greatest horse news into one place. Also, Horse Nation’s bunny ringmaster–yours truly–has a guest spot every Monday at around 10. Depending on how much coffee everybody’s had, that segment can get pretty out of control, pretty fast.
Listen live Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. or catch a replay of any show on the website.
4. In case you happened to miss it, Horse Nation had a funny (if we don’t say so ourselves!) post a couple weeks ago called “10 Horses with a Bad Case of the Mondays.” Just in case you missed it the first time around, here’s the link and a sampling of our favorites.
5. I can tell, from the sheer volume of page views that Morgane Schmidt’s Horse Nation comic receives each Wednesday, that you guys LOFF-LOFF-LOFF her work. If one brand new comic a week just isn’t cutting it, you can view her entire collection on website The Idea of Order.
Here is one of my all-time favorites: