Our favorite hunter-jumper pundit, Miss Carley Sparks, has spoken. She breaks down the Olympic showjumping team selection process and gives George some advice on which horse/rider combos deserve plane tickets.
Carley’s picks for Team USA, via GetMyFix.org:
Baring a catastrophe—like an Adequan shortage or pile up on Marquis of Lorne Trail—and with only part of decision-making data in, I think we can say with no small degree of uncertainty that at least 50% of Team USA should be:
- Beezie Madden and Simon. (Simon was 1st and 3rd in the Kentucky. And 6th in Devon.) Or Coral Reef Via Volo. (Coral Reef missed the selection trials due to a skin infection, but jumped clean in both Kentucky classes). Or Cortes C. (They didn’t win. I got tired of looking it up.) Or a stick horse. (Two previous Olympic gold medals earn you that kind of leniency.)
- McLain Ward and Antares F. (After a four-month hiatus for broken leg parts, he won the $100,000 Grand Prix at Devon and was second in the $50,000 class. Also, see: two Olympic Gold medals rule.)
- Rich Fellers and Flexible (Seventh on the Long List, they’re the reigning World Cup Champions and won BOTH observation events at Del Mar. Fellers, he’s on fire!)
- And, Mario Deslauriers and Urico (They were sixth on the Long List, won in Kentucky and jumped clean in the other Observation class.)
Morris might also consider:
- Current national co-Champions Margie Engle and Indigo. (They were 2nd in the Selection Trials, Kentucky and Devon.)
- Or fellow National co-Champion 17-year-old Reed Kessler and Mikka. (She DECIMATED the Trials and was 5th and 2nd in Kentucky.)
- Or, perhaps, Kent Farrington and Uceko. (No top 5 placings in Kentucky, but they won yesterday at Spruce Meadows.)
- Charlie Jayne is also on a good run. (3rd in Kentucky. And 1st and 3rd in Devon.)
- And, there is always Christine McCrea, Laura Kraut (4th in Kentucky and Devon) and Lauren Hough.
Read more, including Carley’s picks for Team Canada and her keep-it-simple-stupid explanation of the selection trials and process, visit GetMyFix.org.