What types of horses are the most at risk for vitamin deficiencies, and what can you do to help? Kentucky Performance Products helps us narrow down the signs.
From the KPP Tips & Tricks Blog:
Certain types of horses are at higher risk of developing vitamin deficiencies than others. It may be because they are unable to eat adequate amounts of fortified concentrates or consume enough green grass. Sometimes age plays a role too. At-risk horses will benefit from a balanced, low-calorie vitamin and mineral supplement.
Who is at risk?
- Easy keepers eating a handful or two of grain a day and/or those on restricted pasture
- Horses and ponies in light work consuming all-forage diets with little or no access to good quality fresh pasture
- Horses and ponies fed unfortified grains such as oats
- Horses and ponies on restricted diets due to obesity issues
- Older horses and ponies that are unable to digest and absorb nutrients efficiently
- Growing horses in hard training or mature horses with a demanding workload
Learn more about vitamin deficiencies in our Nutritional Minute “Does Your Horse Need Extra Vitamins?”
Article written by KPP staff.
Copyright (C) 2013 Kentucky Performance Products, LLC. All rights reserved.
Article sponsored by Micro-Phase, which provides essential vitamins and trace minerals missing from forages and unfortified diets in an easy-to-digest form.
When health issues arise, always seek the advice of a licensed veterinarian who can help you choose the correct course of action for your horse. Supplements are intended to maintain healthy systems and support recovery and healing. They are not intended to treat or cure illness or injury.
Since 1998, Kentucky Performance Products has simplified a horse owner’s search for research-proven nutritional horse supplements that meet the challenges facing modern horses. KPP horse supplements target specific nutritional needs and are formulated to complement today’s feeds, thus safeguarding against over-supplementation. Each product is scientifically formulated and made with high-quality ingredients at certified manufacturing facilities. Kentucky Performance Products is proud to offer a quality assurance promise backed by a money-back guarantee. Kentucky Performance Products brings you horse supplements you can count on because the horse that matters to you, matters to us.